Sunday, October 18, 2015

Week 5: E is for Expectations

What happens when the week doesn't meet your expectations...well, I feel bummed. I had lots of things planned this week that didn't happen. This is a normal occurrence. Somehow time gets away from us, naps don't happen, pretend play ends up being so cute between siblings that you can't bear to see it stop, because you are thinking to yourself "I may never see this again" haha. #thestruggleisreal. But one thing is for sure, I don't lose hope, because even though this has definitely been the cause of multiple sad evenings feeling like I have failed. I have learned one very valuable thing. Education is absolutely important in our home, but it comes in all forms and from the moment they open theirs eyes, they are learning about life in more ways than one. The biggest one is through me. If I carry guilt because I don't think I'm doing well enough or don't feel confident in my abilities, they pick up on that. I've realized that I set the tone for our days. If I think it's a waste of time to frolic outside and observe nature, I am teaching them to not "waste" time enjoying God's creation, the very thing he has allowed us to care for. That is just one example, but I'm sure you get my point. It's taken me years to realize that if I let things or situations determine how I feel, I'm allowing my feelings and those situations to rule my day. This doesn't turn out well folks. I would encourage you to start each day remembering a verse that motivates and inspires you. This is mine.
James 1:2-3 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials
of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." 
Because although I would love to start each day having an amazing cup of tea and reading God's word. That is definitely not reality. The reality is that I can be tested on all different levels, weather it's spills, arguing or just plain disobedience they are all opportunities for me to teach my child. So weather I home school or not, I am still a teacher. I teach everyday, and God is my teacher. And I'll let you in on a little secret....he's got a pretty full proof plan for your life #hesgotyou! 

So with that, on to our Letter "E" week!
E is for Elephant
Elephant Patterns. I created these simple patterns, but sadly because I made them when Cody was little, I can't find the file, otherwise I would totally have it up for download!

 These little beads were almost the death of me! haha. As many of you know, I don't enjoy tiny pieces of rice, beans and now plastic beads tossed about. Yet for some reason I continue to give in to this idea that I may actually enjoy it...nope. Hasn't happened yet! These little crafts are definitely meant for 6+ and I would say a very patient 6+. It was a horrible idea to hand this project to Eisley...she got frustrated and quickly tossed her entire basket of plastic beads (That I so thoughtfully put into a container thinking this would help) on to the floor! BAAAHH!! Oh well. Cody decided to finish hers while she frolicked off as if she didn't just make a huge mess. 

We have been introducing lots of different math manipulatives to our morning review and these Learning Resources Cuisenaire Rods make for some fun counting practice but Eisley seems to get pretty bored with them so I'm looking for more ways to use them. I found a game book about them and plan to apply some of those next week. I'll let you know how they go!
Color matching elephants! Using buttons, paper clips, whatever I could find. 
We started a "Rewards Chart" for Cody with a ticket system and so far we are still in the testing phases. We are really just trying to get a feel for something that is going to make him excited and motivated to #1 Have a better attitude and #2 Be nice to his sister. So if you have ideas...please do share!! But if you would like a chart like this you can have it HERE!
Another freebie is our morning calendar page! I laminate it, then have them write on it with a dry erase marker! You can download it HERE!

I hope something you have read here today made you smile! Have a great week!

No comments: