Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Hulk" Muffins!!

I know, doesn't look like the most appetizing thing in the world but, here's how these came about.
We've been juicing for a couple weeks now and I couldn't help but notice how much waste it creates with the pulp. My husband swears that the pulp has been sucked dry of it's nutrients but, I don' t believe that, there has to still be some good in those mashed veggies and I hate seeing it go right into the garbage. So I decided to experiment. I took all the left over pulp from the juicer and put it in the food processor. Processed until it had the consistency of baby food. The pulp was pretty dry so I added about 1/2 cup of apple juice to the almost 2 1/2 cups pulp in the processor. After that, the easy part. I found This Recipe for veggie muffins and used my puree when asked for it :) Then WHALA!! "Hulk" Muffins!! My pulp consisted of bok choy, cucumber, kale, mustard greens, pear and apple. We make a nice green drink to mix the rest of our powered greens into. It tastes lovely. You have to experiment with the ratios, but I love it!

Ingredients

-1 cup flour (1/2 cup whole and 1/2 cup white)

-3 T canola oil (to double the recipe try 3 Tbsp applesauce and 3 Tbsp canola oil)

-1/3 cup sugar (replace some with flax meal – optional)

-2 eggs

-1/2 teaspoon baking soda

-1 teaspoon baking powder

-1 teaspoon cinnamon

-1 cup mashed or grated fruit or veggie (mashed banana, grated apple, peeled and grated zucchini or carrots, steamed butternut squash or any other fruit or veggie)

-1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions

-Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, combine eggs, oil, sugar and mashed fruit or veggie. Mix well. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix until it forms into batter. Can use hand mixer beaters. Add nuts if you like.
-Mini muffins: Bake 8-10 minutes. Regular muffins: Bake 15-20 minutes. Tops will turn golden.


I can't believe it, but Cody has had about 4 of them since yesterday!!! This is mind blowing to me! He is sooo picky. He literally doesn't even get through half a blueberry lemon muffin, which taste like magic. So for him to ask for seconds on these, is bonkers! haha

No comments: