Monday, February 28, 2011

Letter Y

So we have started out our week amazingly! We've been slacking on structured schooling because of all the stuff going on with church curriculum and home projects, but we are slowly but surely getting back on track! I recently purchased the Preschool/K-4 Letter of the week curriculum from Confessions of a Homeschooler. I would highly recommend it! It's amazing, and so simple to use. We love it. It did take some time to print, laminate and cut, but was all well worth it considering it was only $10!! I would have paid much more for it. We supplement it with other math, geography, art and science things, but it's nice to have something to build off of and a theme :)

 
These are our current finds from the library and boy am I getting good at spotting our letter of the week out of the millions of books we skim through, Cody and I together make a great letter finding team and now that the new library is up and running, we get to walk 2 blocks down the street to check out books!! We love it!!
Cody could read for hours and today we did :) His favorite out of the bunch was Yummy Yummy! Food for My Tummy! Which inspired me to make a unit for the book :) Well part of one. I also hope to make some Banana smoothies and Coconut Cupcakes (Check out the book, if you don't know what I'm talking about!)
Coloring the Coloring page I made for the YYFFMT Unit. (Like how I abbreviated!! haha)
I guess I was feeling a little creative today apparently so we made a full out diorama of the book! haha Cody loved it, we read this story like a million times!! It's such a fun book!
He was in such great spirits that he actually took his time to make sure he was making everything to the best of his ability. He cut out ALL the leaves himself and did a great job with the water and sharks!
Banana Trees? Palm Trees? haha Same thing right?!
Patiently cutting :) What a big boy!
I made him a pop up shark card to use while I read the story. It was a little complicated, so I just did it all for him but he didn't care, he loved opening and closing the mouth and making him say "Yummy, Yummy! Food for My Tummy!".
Loving his shark card!
More cutting, he never gets tired of it! We use the Kumon cutting book for supplement cutting, but today he definitely didn't need it with all the other stuff he had to cut. haha
Yarn Shape Puzzles (Confessions of a Homeschooler)
Yarn Number Papers
(Confessions of a Homeschooler)

We used them for alot of different games. He jumps on the numbers all the way up to 10 and then he jumps backwards from 10 to learn count down from 10. I took pictures of our number  scavenger hunt.
10 Wood Blocks 

9 Balls
4 Pens
8 ZOOB pieces
7 Alphabet Letters
3 Movies
1 Comic Book
6 Pieces of Clothing
5 Action Figures (Yes, the bobble head counts, Cody got that from Daddy's work, a co-worker sharpied on it to make it look like daddy so Cody loves it and plays with it like an action figure.)
2 Microphones (We have tons of these laying around believe it or not. haha)
I set them up in a circle and we play games for 30 minutes, it's good exercise for him to run around the house and jump :) Don't pay attention to the stained carpet, I've been meaning to shampoo it, only this week is Cody's birthday so that may not happen till next week :(
More Letter Y Curriculum (Confessions of a Homeschooler)
Sequencing Yarn Balls (Confessions)
Color by Number (Confessions)
Yarn Graphing. Instead of just marking the boxes I have Cody write his numbers. It's good practice since numbers are something he tends to forget how to write. hah.
He is getting better everyday though and he loves learning so I can't complain really!
So this was Monday of our Letter Y. I can't say we'll be super productive tomorrow since Daddy might be staying home, so we'll see. I do hope to get to some new activities and puzzles we haven't used though, so I'll see if those come out. I will also be uploading some of the activities I created soon. I am going to try and figure out the whole adobe hosting...thing.
Nite!

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Holy cow, great projects! I will be coming back to try some of these with my son :) I'm a new follower from the blog hop! I can't wait to read more of your posts.

~Kristina
www.cobbled-stone.blogspot.com

UmmaThreads~ Crafty Squirrel said...

These are great. I want to use a few myself. Where did the yarn graphing come from. Where are all about using sheet protectors. Then I store away the projects in a folder so, the kids can come back to work on them.

Laurabudcody said...

Umma Threads:
All of the Yarn Printables come from the site Confessions of a Homeschooler. She has an amazing letter of the week curriculm that she offers!